Christmas on a Rational Planet
“An end to history. An end to certainty. Is that too much to ask?”
December, 1799. Europe is recovering from the Age of Reason, the Vatican is learning to live with Napoleon, and America is celebrating a new era of independence. But in New York State, something is spreading its own brand of madness through the streets. Secret societies are crawling from the woodwork, and there’s a Satanic conspiracy around every corner.
Roz Forrester is stranded in a town where festive cheer and random violence go hand-in-hand. Chris Cwej is trapped on board the TARDIS with someone who’s been trained to kill him. And when Reason itself breaks down, even the Doctor can’t be sure who or what he’s fighting for.
Christmas is coming to town, and the end of civilisation is following close behind…
- Christmas on a Rational Planet is the fifty-second Virgin New Adventures novel. It features the Seventh Doctor, Chris Cwej and Roz Forrester. Christmas on a Rational Planet is author Lawrence Miles’ first novel for the Doctor Who range.
- This novel is rumoured to contain a reference to every TV story, although some are very obscure (such as Lincoln being a reference to The Chase or the reference to Gallifreyian prisoner tattoos being a reference to either Spearhead from Space or Doctor Who and the Silurians). It requires a distinctly critical eye to identify them, should the rumour be correct.
- Vraxoin is known to Roz. It was discovered on the Cygnus Rim.
- Cocaine, caffeine and marijuana are all legal in 1799.
- On Minyos they cast out the heliomancers from their society.
- Astra is a terrible place, like many of Earth’s colonies in the 25th century.