The Rani Elite
The Rani Elite
The TARDIS arrives in the CAGE – not a trap, but the College of Advanced Galactic Education, one of the most prestigious academic institutions in colonised space.
Not a trap. Or is it?
The Doctor’s here to receive an honorary degree in Moral Philosophy. But there’s something rotten at the heart of the Medical Facility. Someone is operating on the students. Someone without a conscience. Someone with access to a Sidelian Brain Scanner – a technology that hasn’t been invented yet.
That someone is the ruthless Time Lord scientist known as The Rani – in her new incarnation. But will The Doctor and Peri recognise The Rani’s hand before her trap is sprung?
- After the sad passing of Kate O Mara the fate of the story was uncertain, until Kate’s agent contact Big Finish with the news that Kate had wanted them to proceed with a new incarnation of the character.
- In her latest body The Rani is played by Siobhan Redmond, whose many leading television credited include Between the Lines, The High Life, The Smoking Room, Taggart and Holby City.
- The Rani was expecting to meet The Doctor’s seventh incarnation, not the sixth. She describes the Seventh Doctor as “the little fellow with the hat and the umbrella”.
- The Doctor mentions the Deca, including Drax, Mortimus and Vansell, and calls The Ranin “Ushas “.
- Peri is awarded an honourary degree in botany.
- The Rani says The Doctor only graduated the Academy with a double gamma.
- The Doctor says education used to be galactically funded, but it is now down to students to “scrimp and save.”
- The Rani discusses chaos theory.
- Part 1 of the Rani Elite was available as a free download before the release.
- This is the first appearance of the Rani in an audio story by Big Finish. Heroverall first audio appearance was in the BBV Productions story The Rani Reaps the Whirlwind.
- During her photoshoot as The Rani, Siobhan Redmond was brandishing a potato peeler as a hand prop. The device was enhanced in Photoshop to create the final illustration used on the cover of this story.
- Subscribers whose subscriptions included this story also received the audio short story A Home From Home.
- Many elements of this story were apparently inspired by the cancelled Rani story: Network.
- Peri remembers the Fifth Doctor dying for her (The Caves of Androzani) and wonders if she would die for him. (Mindwarp)
- The Sixth Doctor and Peri previously encountered The Rani in Killingworth in the 1820s (The Mark of the Rani), on a duplicate Earth (State of Change) and on Koturia (Something Borrowed).
- The Doctor says, “Leave the girl. Plainly, it’s me you want.” (Time and the Rani)
- The Rani and the Doctor mention the Deca, including Drax, Mortimus and Vansell. The Rani is also called Ushas by The Doctor. (Divided Loyalties)
- The Doctor notes that Time Lords are “immortal, barring accidents.” (The War Games)
- The Rani recalls her previous incarnation being partly responsible for The Doctor’s sixth regeneration. Time and the Rani, The Brink of Death)
- After her arrest, The Rani was imprisoned for 97 years. (Planet of the Rani)