Fleeing a doomed space station in tiny life capsules, The Doctor and Compassion find themselves prisoners of Parallel 59, a militaristic power on the planet Skale. Meanwhile Fitz finds himself apparently safe in Mechta, a colony for convalescents.
A space race is in full swing on Skale, with each of the planet’s many blocs desperate to be first to reach the stars. If The Doctor’s knowledge helps Parallel 59 to succeed, the consequences for the rest of the world could be devastating.
But Fitz knows nothing of his friends’ predicament. Enjoying his new life, he’s not even sure he wants to be rescued – which is a good thing.
Because The Doctor has no intention of going to Mechta. He’s decreed that Fitz’s new-found utopia must be totally destroyed.
- Parallel 59 was the thirtieth novel in the BBC Eighth Doctor Adventures published by BBC Books. Written by Stephen Cole and Natalie Dallaire, it featured The Doctor, Fitz Kreiner and Compassion.
- Since being remembered by the TARDIS, Fitz has lost track of his age.
- Compassion is becoming more TARDIS-like, foreshadowing her transformation in The Shadows of Avalon.
- The Doctor states that the last time his hearts stopped was in San Francisco. (The TV Movie)
- When captured by Parallel 59 personnel The Doctor and Compassion are stripped naked.