Series 9 Prologue
11 September 2015
|Written by||Steven Moffat|
|Directed by||Hettie MacDonald|
|Produced by||Peter Bennett|
The Twelfth Doctor has returned to Karn and discusses the nature of friends and enemies with Ohila, the leader of the Sisterhood of Karn. The two discuss an invitation given to the Doctor by an unnamed individual, someone who the Doctor has known for a long time, but has been enemies with for almost all that time.
Ohila doesn’t believe the Doctor when he says he will not visit him, and continues to question his reasons. Eventually the Doctor says he will go soon, and gives Ohila a confession dial that he says she knows who to give it to. The Doctor comments that he should go meditate somewhere and then leaves the meeting spot.
- The prologue leads into The Doctors Meditation an exclusive USA prequel for the ninth series of Doctor Who
- This is the first time Ohila has been seen from a present standpoint in the series rather than in the past.
- The Doctor’s line to Ohila, Look after the universe for me, I’ve put a lot of work into it. is identical to a line used in the 1999 Red Nose Day Comic Relief Doctor Who parody The Curse of Fatal Death, a spoof also written by Steven Moffat. The line in question was spoken coincidentally by that universe’s version of the Twelfth Doctor as he was apparently dying for good. He asked his companion Emma, and the Master, to do the same.
- The Doctor is present when Colony Sarff delivers the message to Ohila in The Magician’s Apprentice. As such, Prologue takes place entirely during the narrative of this episode.
- The Doctor’s fourth incarnation first met the Sisterhood of Karn and helped them when their flame was running out and Morbius was on the planet. (The Brain Of Morbius) Meanwhile, he had met Ohilain his eighth incarnation after the Sisterhood temporarily revived him from a fatal gunship crash. Ohilathen gave him the means to regenerate into his war incarnation. (The Night of the Doctor)
- The person the Doctor is avoiding later turns out to be Davros. (The Magician’s Apprentice)
- The Confession Dial later turns out to have been given to Missy. (The Magician’s Apprentice)
- The Doctor said he would probably go meditate on a rock. (The Doctor’s Meditation) He was previously meditating on top of the TARDIS. (Listen)
- The Doctor tells Ohila, Look after the universe. I’ve put a lot of work into it. When he had just regenerated into his eleventh incarnation, he made a similar statement to the Atraxi regarding Earth.
- When the Atraxi noted he was not native to that world, the Doctor replied, No, but I’ve put a lot of work into it. (The Eleventh Hour)
- Ohila is aware that the Doctor lies. (The Big Bang, Let’s Kill Hitler, The Wedding of River Song)