Flesh And Stone
31 April 2010
|Written by||Steven Moffat|
|Directed by||Adam Smith|
|Produced by||Peter Bennett|
There’s no way back, no way up and no way out. Trapped among an army of Weeping Angels, The Doctor and his friends must try to escape through the wreckage of a crashed space liner. Meanwhile, in the forest vault, The Doctor’s companion, Amy Pond, finds herself facing an even more deadly attack.
- According to Steven Moffat on the 30th March 2010 edition of the BBC Radio 4 programme, Front Row, the title of this episode was supplied by his son, Joshua.
- The title is a play on ‘flesh and bone’, a common idiom referring to a creature’s anatomy, since most humans and animals are composed of flesh and a skeletal structure. The title also refers to the Weeping Angels‘ weakness of turning to stone whenever anyone looks at them. This was a rumored title for the episode Gridlock.
- In the trailer at the end of The Time of Angels it shows a crack – continuing the theme throughout the series. The crack appears to be growing, and upon finding it, Amy Pond notes its similarity to the one on her bedroom wall from The Eleventh Hour. The Doctor says of the crack, “That is extremely very not good.”
- A media clip on the official Doctor Who website shows that The Doctor gets the Weeping Angels to say “comfy chairs”.
- The Doctor finds out that time can be unwritten.
- The time on the scanner that The Doctor holds says that Amy’s time is her wedding day.
- The Weeping Angels are seen moving for the first time. One Angel is seen moving their hand to grab The Doctor by his jacket, and later they are seen turning their heads when they begin to realise that Amy can’t see them.
- The date shown in the episode, 26/06/2010, was the final episode date of Series 5.
- The method The Doctor uses to dispose of the Weeping Angels mirrors his method of vanquishing the Cybermen and Daleks in Doomsday.
- Amy is the first companion who tried to seduce The Doctor in such a manner as the one she displayed and becomes the latest companion to kissThe Doctor.
- This episode aired on the same day as the K9 episode, Alien Avatar.