The Sound of Drums
23 June 2007
John Simm (The Master), John Barrowman (Captain Jack Harkness), Reggie Yates (Leo Jones) , Alexandra Moen (Lucy Saxon) [2-3], Elize du Toit (Sinister Woman) , Nichola McAuliffe (Vivien Rook) , Nicholas Gecks (Albert Drumfries) , Colin Stinton (President Arthur Winters) , Olivia Hill (BBC Newsreader) , Daniel Ming (Chinese Newsreader) , Lachele Carl (US Newsreader) , Sharon Osbourne (Herself) , McFly (themselves) , Ann Widdecombe (Herself) , Tom Ellis (Thomas Milligan) , Ellie Haddington (Professor Docherty) , Tom Golding (Lad) , Natasha Alexander (Woman) , Zoe Thorne, Gerard Logan, Johnnie Lyne-Pirkis (Toclafane voices) [2-3]
|Written by||Russell T. Davies|
|Directed by||Colin Teague|
|Produced by||Julie Garner and Phil Colinson|
The Doctor, Martha, and Jack manage to escape from Futurekind in the year 100 trillion through Jack’s repaired Vortex Manipulator, finding themselves in London. They quickly learn that The Master has taken on the persona of “Mr. Harold Saxon”, the newly elected Prime Minister, using his Archangel phone network to subliminally influence the population into voting for him while masking his presence from the Doctor.
The three narrowly avoid a bomb placed in Martha’s flat, and the arrest of Martha’s family, before The Master contacts them to gloat about his seeming victory.
- Utopia,The Sound of Drums and Last of the Time Lords have a combined running time of 2 hours 21 minutes. This makes it not only the longest continuous story of the revived series, but the longest since the Sixth Doctor’s The Trial of a Time Lord. It beats The End of Time by just six minutes (and this is only because Last of the Time Lords is 51 minutes long, six minutes longer than a standard episode).
- Additionally, if you include the full string of seven connected episodes (which begins with Captain Jack Harkness and End of Days, leads directly into Utopia, The Sound of Drums, and Last of the Time Lords, then finishes with Time Crash and Voyage of the Damned) the full running time comes to 5 hours 18 minutes, stopping just 37 minutes shy of The Trial of a Time Lord.If you consider Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang as a direct follow-up to Last of the Time Lords as well, the total rises to 6 hours 6 minutes, which would be the longest continuous story by merely 11 minutes.
- This is the only finale in the revived series that features a Doctor Rose Tyler has seen, but not Roseherself. (The Parting of the Ways, Doomsday, Journey’s End, The End of Time)
- The Masterseems to be a Scissor Sisters fan. He’s singing along to “I Can’t Decide” from their Ta-Dah album on the flight deck of the Valiant. This segment is absent from the iTunes version of the episode (likely for music licensing reasons). The episode is also cut between the opening credits and the “One year later” subtitle on the iTunes version, for unknown reasons.
- The sound of The Master’s laugh can be heard while a finger with a red painted finger nail picks up The Master’s ring. The character who picked up the ring is seen in The End of Time.
- The Master states that he was resurrected by the Time Lords. (The TV Movie)
- The Doctor was artificially aged many years previously on Argolis. (The Leisure Hive)
- The Master’s line, “Peoples of the Earth, please attend carefully”, is similar to his previous call for the attention of the “peoples of the universe”. (Logopolis)