The Room With No Doors
“Dear Doctor,” wrote Chris, “I give up.”
Swordplay, samurai, demons, magic, aliens, adventure, excitement… Who needs them?
The Doctor and Chris travel to 16th-century Japan, a country gripped by civil war as feudal lords vie for control. Anything could tip the balance of power. So when a god falls out of the sky, everyone wants it. villagers are healed and crops grow far too fast, the Doctor and Chris try to find the secret of the miracles — before the two rival armies can start a war over who owns the god. Chris soon finds himself alone — except for an alien slaver, a time-travelling Victorian inventor, a gang of demons, an old friend with suspicious motives, a village full of innocent bystanders, and several thousand samurai.
Without the Doctor, someone has to take up the challenge of adventure and stop the god from falling into the wrong hands. Someone has to be a hero — but Chris isn’t sure he wants to be a hero any more.
- The Room With No Doors is the fifty-ninth Virgin New Adventures novel. It is the second-last novel in the New Adventures series to feature the Seventh Doctor. It is the last novel to feature just the Seventh Doctor and Chris Cwej pairing.
- Caxtarid mining corporations have strip mined several worlds.
- Regeneration was never meant to be an emergency procedure.
- The Doctor gets shot with an arrow whilst carrying a small girl.
- The Doctor knows that his regeneration grows near.
- The Doctor meditates in a lotus position instead of sleeping, but when he does sleep he screams and shouts.
- Liz Shaw is mentioned. She died in the previous story Eternity Weeps.