Sylvester McCoy (The Doctor), Geoffrey Beevers (The Master), Philip Madoc (Victor Schaeffer), Anne Ridler (Jacqueline Schaffer), Charlie Hayes (Jade), Daniel Barzotti (The Man), Joe Bassett (Child)s, Gary Russell (Whispering Voices)
Many years ago, on a dark and stormy night, the disfigured and enigmatic Doctor John Smith invited his closest friends, Inspector Victor Schaeffer and his wife, Jacqueline, to a dinner to celebrate his birthday. A few hours later all the occupants in that house had been changed, some were dead, others mentally scarred forever by the events of that night.
So, what happened to the distinguished dinner guests on that evening? Perhaps, we¹ll never know. But two clues have led to muchspeculation found outside the study window, a charred umbrella with a curved red handle and found inside the house, a blood-stained copy of Stevenson’s The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde.
For one person, this night represented an ending: an ending to one thousand years of darkness and an ending to ten years of light.
But, for everyone else, is there no ending of this one night of Hell?
- Master was the forty-ninth monthly Doctor Who audio story produced by Big Finish Productions
- An Empress is mentioned.
- Professor Summerfield has written Man: Two Hearts in One Mind.
- Victor Schaeffer is an Adjudicator.
- This audio drama was recorded on 30 and 31 July 2003 at The Moat Studios.
- An illustrated preview by Martin Geraghty appeared in DWM 336.
- This is the first story in any medium to feature The Master where his name is part of the title, such as The Daleks, Dalek, The Tomb of the Cybermen, or The Mark of the Rani.
- This is the third part in a loose quadrilogy of “villain”-focused stories to celebrate Doctor Who’s 40th anniversary, beginning with Omega and ending with Zagreus.Death refers to how The Doctor used to play with his spoons and mix up his metaphors, (Time and the Rani) but how he is now too busy destroying planets and wiping out old foes. (Remembrance of the Daleks, Silver Nemesis).
- The Doctor and The Master were bullied as children by Torvic