The Well-Mannered War
“Destroy them! Destroy them all – now!”
Barclow – an Earth-type planet on the fringes of space at an inestimably distant point in the future. Two factions have laid claim to it: humans from the nearby colony world of Metralubit, and a small group of Chelonian troopers. But in nearly two hundred years of conflict not one shot has been fired in anger, there are regular socials in the trenches, and the military commanders are the best of friends.
The Doctor, Romana and K9, arriving in the midst of these bizarre hostilities, find there’s real trouble to come. A crucial election on Metralubit is looming, and K9 is forced to begin a new career as a politician. Meanwhile, Romana meets an old friend and the Doctor discovers that a sinister hidden force may be attempting to alter the war’s friendly nature.
What are the plans of Galatea, leader of the beautiful but robotic Femdroids? Who is killing soldiers on both sides of the battle lines? And will K9’s oratory save the day?
Just what is going on?
Gareth Roberts is the author of far too many Doctor Who books, including the poll winners, The Romance of Crime and The English Way of Death. He sill lives in Cricklewood.
- The Well-Mannered War was the thirty-third and final novel in the Virgin Missing Adventures series. It was written by Gareth Roberts. It featured the Fourth Doctor, K9 Mark II, Romana II and the Black Guardian.
- K9 Mark II is programmed to protect The Doctor and Romana, this includes their emotional well-being, as well as their physical safety.
- Romana II quotes Clarik’s Theorem.
- Released by Big Finish on Audio CD
- Stokes has the same kind of crystal that the Fifth Doctor’s companion Turlough received in Mawdryn Undead.