Sylvester McCoy (The Doctor), Sophie Aldred (Ace), Philip Olivier (Hex), Andrew Collins (Drew Shahan), William Hoyland (Premier Jaeger), Zehra Naqvi (Charlotte Singh), Duncan Wiseby (Ryan Wareing), Ann Bryson (Gina Grewal), Joy Elias-Rilwan (Lula)
‘You’re listening to LIVE 34.’
‘LIVE 34 — news on the hour, every hour — LIVE 34 — broadcasting to Colony 34 all day, every day — LIVE 34 — constantly updated every minute of every hour — LIVE 34 — sport, weather, business, local news, interplanetary affairs — LIVE 34 — live, independent, accurate, comprehensive — LIVE 34 — all news, all day, every day — LIVE 34.’
‘Reports are coming in of an explosion…’
‘On the line now is the leader of the FDP…’
‘The President is about to begin his address…’
‘We can see bodies in the wreckage…’
- LIVE 34 was the seventy-fourth monthly Doctor Who audio story produced by Big Finish Productions.
- Ace’s art teacher at school used to liaise with their chemistry teacher, Mr Watts, during class time.
- Ryan Wareing estimates that Ace is in her mid to late 20s.
- Shortly after the broadcast of his interview with Ace, Wareing supposedly committed suicide.
- The Doctor has a 1952 Black Vincent motorbike with “improvements” such as automatic transmission and GPS.
- This story is unusual in that it does not feature the TARDIS.
- Wareing tells Ace that Earth was abandoned “centuries ago”.
- Colony 34 is one of 49 colonies located in a vast solar system with two suns. It has a First, Second and Third City. It has at least two moons. Its day is 25 hours long and there are at least nine months in a year. The colony was founded more than 200 years earlier.
- This audio drama was recorded on 22 and 24 June 2005 at The Moat Studios.
- The Doctor loans Hex his umbrella, which he uses to protect himself and Charlotte from the rain.
- thematically, this story is the reverse of The Happiness Patrol. This time, instead of following the TARDIS crew as they foment rebellion and topple a tyrant, we see the revolution from the perspective of the innocents on the planet.