No one lives to old age in the village. When their time is come, they are taken and never seen again. That is the Way. And, should anyone try to break with the established order of things, then the fury of Herne the Hunter is unleashed.
When the TARDIS materialises near a castle in this medieval society, The Doctor and Peri befriend Gurth, a terrified youth who is attempting to flee his fate. And Herne is closing in
Why does the local baron impose the culling? What is the secret of Zeron? And who are the Sentinels of the New Dawn?
The answers lie within a cave.
- Leviathan is an audio story which was originally written by Brian Finch
- The script for this serial was sent in after Paul Finch read about the lost stories series in Doctor Who Magazine. Recording and production for the lost stories series was already near completion when this script was sent in.
- After reading the script Jason Haigh-Ellery decided to extend the originally planned 7 stories, which were already at the tail end of production, to stretch the budget to include this as an 8th.
- Unlike the other Lost Stories in the series, Leviathan was not written for Season 23. It was dropped at the last minute, having rehearsal scripts set up; the reasons it wasn’t made aren’t known but Haigh-Ellery said it was likely for budget reasons.
- Due to the large amount of characters required each of the secondary cast had to perform three or four roles.
- Brian Finch had written for Colin Baker’s earlier show, The Brothers.
- Peri brings up her torture in Vengeance on Varos.