The Leisure Hive DVD
Number of DVDs 1
DVD Number BBCDVD1351
Duration 87 minutes
I don’t think much of this Earth idea of recreation. Why can’t we do something constructive?!
The Argolin-Foamisi War lasted for just 20 minutes, during which time the planet of Argolis was turned into a blasted cinder – a radioactive wasteland deadly to almost all. The few surviving members of the now ageing and sterile Argolin race made a remarkable decision: the story of their people and the husk of their world would stand as a lesson to the galaxy about the horrors of war.The planet would become the most unlikely of holiday resorts.
To the Doctor and Romana, Argolis seems like a restful and fascinating place to relax after their recent adventures. They can take in the beauty of the multi-coloured shifting sands from the safety of the towering Leisure Hive, and catch up with Argolin advances in the obscure science of tachyonics. Typically enough, however, murder and intrigue follow the time travellers wherever they go; and a lunatic’s plan to restore Argolis’ proud warrior past could, quite literally, tear the Doctor and his friend apart
Originally transmitted 30/08/80 – 20/09/80
- Commentary by Lalla Ward, Lovett Bickford and Christopher Bidmead.
- ‘From Avalon to Argolis’ – focus on writing and script-editing.
- ‘Synthesizing Starfields’ – in-depth look At The creation of the new title sequence.
- ‘Leisure Wear’ featurette on costume designer June Hudson.
- Blue Peter – a look round the revamped Longleat exhibition in 1980