Peter Davison (The Doctor), Sarah Sutton (Nyssa), Lucy Campbell (Monica Lewis), Alistair Lock (Supplier), Christopher Scott (Shaun Brett), Neil Roberts (Tulung), Andrew Fettes (Gaborik)
Landing in Alaska, The Doctor and Nyssa encounter a group of people in a most unusual house, cut off not only by the harsh climate but by their individual secrets and obsessions.
Millionaire Shaun Brett is utilising chunks of the local area to construct a shrine to his dead father. But when deadly creatures start roaming outside, and a terrifying discovery is made inside the house, The Doctor realises that Brett has unleashed an unimaginably ancient force.
- The Land of the Dead was the first audio story to feature Nyssa
- Nyssa and the Doctor speculate that the monsters in this story were involved in the Permian-Triassic extinction event, a massive reduction in Earth’s biodiversity some 251.1 million years ago. They were make reference to events of the television serial Earthshock, which provides an explanation for the similar Cretaceous–Paleogene extinction event. The Doctor notes, a little defensively, that several elements of the TARDIS are not working quite as well as they should, particularly the visual sensors and audio circuits
- Tegan Jovanka recently departed the TARDIS during a brief return to Heathrow Airport in 1982. (Time-Flight)
- The cover image shows an adapted image of Joseph Merrick’s skull.
- The inner pamphlet includes a map of the base.