|Publication Date||14 November 1985|
Many thousands of years ago strange crystalline creatures came down from the stars and settled on the planet of the Gonds.
Over the years They educated the Gonds through teaching machines in the great Hall of Learning. In return, the Gonds periodically selected their two most brilliant scholars to become the `companions’ of these mysterious beings.
- A Candidate for Death
- The Rescue
- The Rebels
- The Genius
- The Companions
- The Krotons Awake
- The Militants
- The Attack
- The Second Attack
- Battle Plans
- Eelek’s Bargain
DEVIATIONS FROM THE TELEVISED STORY
- The Doctor’s claim that he is”not a doctor of medicine” is repeated, followed by the omniscient narrator describing this reply”a little unfair[…], since he was in fact a doctor of almost everything.”
- The Doctor is amazed that the Krotons feed off living thoughts and feels this justifies their arrogance.
- Vana justifies avoiding the evacuation by saying she is a scientist and can help Beta.
- The continuity error of Beta being in the Underhall when he was left behind in the laboratory is corrected, with his line given to an unnamed engineer (as it was in the original script).
- The comedy business of Beta burning his finger while testing the acid is removed.