The Scales of Injustice
“And what exactly, Doctor Shaw, do you think C19 does with the dead bodies of plastic dummies, reptile men, primordial throwbacks and all their human victims?”
A little boy goes missing, a policewoman begins drawing cave paintings, and the employees at the mysterious Glasshouse are desperate to keep everyone away – The Doctor suspects it’s all down to a group of homo reptilia. His assistant, Liz Shaw, has ideas of her own and has teamed up with a journalist to search for people who don’t exist.
While the Brigadier has to cope with UNIT funding, the breakdown of his marriage and Geneva’s threats to replace him, The Doctor must find the reptiles alone.
And behind it all lies a conspiracy to exploit UNIT’s achievements – a conspiracy reaching deep into the heart of the British government.
- The Scales of Injustice was the twenty-fourth novel in the Virgin Missing Adventures series. It was written by Gary Russell. It featured the Third Doctor, Liz Shaw and Brigadier Alistair Gordon Lethbridge-Stewart. This novel features Liz Shaw’s departure from UNIT and the arrival of Mike Yates, reporting for duty
- The chapters are referred to as”Episodes”.
- This story was released as an ebook on the BBC website in 2006, with the book remaining on the BBC’s site until 2009.
- This novel was reprinted and released as an ebook on Kindle by BBC Books on 6 March 2014 as The Monster CollectionEdition.
- This story retroactively fixes some of the apparent inconsistencies of the television story Warriors of the Deep. Specifically, this story explains how The Doctor knows Icthar and how he knows of the Triad and the Myrka.
- As in the television story Warriors of the Deep, Sea Devils are called that by the Silurians. This novel makes it clear that their full name is Sea Devil Warriors and they are a caste as much as a sub-species.
- C19 and Sir John Sudbury are mentioned on-screen only in the television story Time-Flight.
- Professor Rachel Jensen suggested recruiting her University of Cambridge protégés Allison Williams, (Remembrance of the Daleks) Ruth Ingram (The Time Monster) and Anne Travers (The Web of Fear) to the Intrusion Countermeasures Group