The Ice Warriors DVD
Number of DVDs 2
DVD Number BBCDVD3558
Duration 150 minutes
The Doctor, Jamie and Victoria arrive on Earth in the far future to find that The planet is in the grip of a second ice age. Scientific outposts are scattered across the globe, fighting desperately against advancing glaciers that threaten to send the world back into prehistory. When a huge armoured figure is discovered buried in the ice, a force more deadly than the ice floes is unleashed – Varga, a Martian Warrior, whose craft crash-landed centuries ago. Reviving his crew, he aims to conquer Earth in the name of Mars. With power At The outpost sinking to dangerously low levels, it falls to the Doctor to try to save humanity – not only from the warmongering Ice Warriors, but from the barely checked powers of the relentless glaciers.
- 6x 25 mins approx monochrome episodes with mono audio.
- Commentary – Episodes 1, 4, 5, 6 by Frazer Hines, Deborah Watling and Sonny Caldinez, designer Jeremy Davies and grams operator Pat Heigham, moderated by Toby Hadoke.
- Commentary – Episode 2 commentary made up of original archive recordings or readings of text written by Brian Hayles, Derek Martinus, Martin Baugh, Bernard Bresslaw, Peter Barkworth, Wendy Gifford and Sylvia James.
- Commentary – Episode 3 commentary by Patrick Troughton’s son, Michael.
- Programme subtitles.
- Subtitle Production Notes.
- Cold Fusion (dur. 24’ 31”) – Cast and crew look back At The making of the story. With actors Frazer Hines, Deborah Watling and Sonny Caldinez, designer Jeremy Davies and James Bresslaw, son of the late actor Bernard Bresslaw.
- Beneath the Ice (dur. 10’ 31” ) – A look behind the scenes of the animated Ice Warrior episodes. Producers Chris Chapman and Niel Bushnell, together with animation director Chris Chatterton from Qurios lift the lid on the process used to bring Varga and his Warriors back to life.
- VHS Links (dur. 19’ 19” ) – the introduction to the story and linking material covering the two missing episodes, as used on the VHS release of the story in 1998. Includes the BBC Video “Adjust your tracking control” caption for a true sense of nostalgia!
- Blue Peter Design-a-Monster (dur. 10’ 04”) – the competition launch and subsequent winners of the 1967 Design-a-Monster competition, which ran during the transmission of The Ice Warriors.
- Doctor Who Stories – Frazer Hines part two (dur. 13’ 48”) – the second part of this interview with Frazer Hines shot in 2004 for The Story of Doctor Who looks at his later appearances in the series.
- Photo Gallery (dur. 3’ 53”) – production, design and publicity photos from the story.
- Coming Soon (dur. 1 min approx.) – a trailer for a forthcoming DVD release.
- Radio Times Listings in Adobe PDF format.
- Programme subtitles.