The Highest Science
Many legends speak of this world, home of an ancient empire destroyed by its own greatest achievement: the Highest Science, the pinnacle of technological discovery.
When the TARDIS alerts The Doctor and Bernice to the presence of an enormous temporal fluctuation on a large, green, unremarkable planet, they are not to know of any connection with the legend.
But the connection is there, and it will lead them into conflict with the monstrous Chelonians, with their contempt for human parasites, into adventure with a group of youngsters whose musical taste has suddenly become dangerously significant, and will force them to face Sheldukher, the most wanted criminal in the galaxy
- The Highest Science, published in 1993, is the eleventh book in the Virgin New Adventures series. It was written by Gareth Roberts
- Gustaf Urnst wrote about discovering the secrets of Sakkrat.
- The Everywoman Guide to Hassle Free Space Travel is mentioned.
- The 2009 special Planet of the Dead features elements of this story, whereas a tube train passes through a Fortean Flicker to Sakkrat here, a red London bus passes through a wormhole onto San Helios in the 2009 story.
- The writerof both pieces, Gareth Roberts, was to use the Chelonians in Planet of the Dead, but the heat of the Dubai desert where filming was to be was thought too severe for an actor to wear a heavy Chelonian turtle costume in.
- On regaining consciousness, The Doctor cries out, “Where am I? Who am I? And who are you?” (Time and the Rani)
- Bernice drinks Bubbleshake, an oral appetite suppressant containing Fabi weed extract. It has many side effects, one of which is brain disintegration.
- Bernice cannot find any alcohol in the TARDIS.