Years after leaving UNIT, Jo Grant receives a plea for help from an old acquaintance. A palaeontological study of the earliest known humans is apparently under threat from a UNIT force led by a captain who does not officially exist. Investigating further, she begins to find herself out of her depth – and out of the twentieth century altogether…
Meanwhile, The Doctor and Sam visit Earth in 2109 – but there is no trace of the human race. Earth is home of the Tractites, a peaceful race who have been living there for hundreds of thousands of years. Astonished and appalled, The Doctor travels back in time to see just what went wrong in Earth’s prehistory.
Why have Jo and the expedition been taken back in time? Are the Tractites all they seem? Finally, separated from the TARDIS, The Doctor’s last chance to put things right rests with Sam – but has even she turned against him?
- Genocide was the fourth BBC Eighth Doctor Adventures novel featuring The Doctor and Samantha Jones. It was written by Paul Leonard. This novel also features Jo Grant, who last appeared in novel form in the Missing Adventures novel Speed of Flight.
- This was the first full length story to feature an older Jo Grant. Katy Manning would reprise the role, showing a much different outcome of Jo Grant’s life in the 2010 The Sarah Jane Adventures story Death of the Doctor.
- The Doctor speaks of Davros, saying, “my old friend Davros”, to Sam.
- Sam Jones is still seventeen.
- Cliff Jones and Jo Grantare separated. They have a son named Mat thew.
- The Green Death introduced Cliff Jones and showed him and planning to get married.
- Jo also states that she never saw The Doctor again between the events of The Green Death and Death of the Doctor.