Sylvester McCoy (The Doctor), Bonnie Langford (Mel), Richard Gibson (Mitchell), Pamela Miles (Bailey), Francis Magee (Stewart), Audrey Schoelhammer (Reed), Trevor Littledale (Potter), Trevor Martin (Professor Capra), Daniel Hogarth (Slithergee/Clarence), David Darlington (Security Guard)
Christmas Eve in the year 3060, and the planet Puxatornee is home to a prosperous human colony.
A space craft has arrived in orbit carrying the Slithergees, a race of obsequious alien slugs. Their home world has been destroyed and They are humbly requesting permission to settle on the first moon.
And if They don’t get permission, then They are humbly threatening to declare all-out war.
The future hangs in the balance. The decision rests with Bailey, the colony’ s president – but she has other things on her mind.
Christmas Eve in the year 3090, and the planet Puxatornee has changed beyond all recognition.
The Doctor and Mel arrive, on a completely unrelated mission to defeat a race of terrible monsters, and soon discover that something rather confusing has been happening to history.
Flip Flop is a unique innovation in storytelling. A Doctor Who adventure told over two CDs, one black, one white – where the CDs can be listened to in either order.
- Flip Flop was the forty-sixth monthly Doctor Who audio story produced by Big Finish Productions
- The Doctor and Mel experience (and become part of) events locked in a time loop (though one from which they are able to escape).
- Professor Capra is named for Frank Capra, director of the classic Christmas movie It’s a Wonderful Life. The other characters are also named for characters and actors in It’s a Wonderful Life.
- The anti-radiation gloves, which The Doctor claims were created by one of his previous incarnations, is a reference to a so-called “Hartnellism” in The Daleks, where
- William Hartnell was supposed to say “anti-radiation drugs” but instead said “anti-radiation gloves.”
- The Doctor first encountered the Quarks on Dulkis in the company of Jamie McCrimmon and Zoe Heriot during his second incarnation. (The Dominators)