The Flames of Cadiz
The TARDIS materializes in Spain in the late sixteenth century. The country is at war with England – and the travellers find themselves on the wrong side of the battle lines.
When Ian and his new friend Esteban are captured by the Inquisition, the Doctor, Susan and Barbara plan to rescue them.
But these are dark days in human history. And heretics face certain death.
- The Flames of Cadiz was the sixty-third release in the Companion Chronicles audio range.
- In 1962, Barbara went on holiday to Toledo, Spain.
- As a boy, Ian’s hero was Sir Francis Drake. He has seen films depicting the Spanish Armada in which Drake was played by Errol Flynn and Queen Elizabeth I was played by Bette Davis and Flora Robson.
- Susan mentions that she and the Doctor once shared fish with the Venerable Bede. (The Talons of Weng-Chiang)
- Ian was raised in the Church of England.
- The Doctor wears a panama hat while in Seville. (The Daleks’ Master Plan)
- During his second and sixth incarnations, the Doctor later returned to Seville in 1985. (The Two Doctors)
- The Doctor refers to Susan’s time at Coal Hill School in 1963. (An Unearthly Child)
- This audio drama was recorded on 11 and 25 June 2012.
- This is the first Companion Chronicle to feature both William Russell and Carole Ann Ford.