Fear of the Dark
On the very edge of the galaxy lies Akoshemon: a putrefied world of legendary evil.
In the year 2382 archaeologists land on Akoshemon’s only moon, searching for evidence of the planet’s infamous past. But when The Doctor, Tegan and Nyssa are drawn into the lunar caverns they find more than a team of academics — and help uncover much more than ancient history.
Something is lying in wait, deep inside the labyrinth of caves: something that remembers the spiral of war, pestilence and deprivation that ruined Akoshemon. Something that rejoiced in every kind of horror and destruction.
An age-old terror is about to be reborn. But what is the hideous secret of the Bloodhunter? And why does Nyssa feel that her thoughts are no longer her own? Forced to confront his own worst fears, even The Doctor will be pushed to breaking point — and beyond.
- Fear of the Dark was the fifty-eighth BBC Past Doctor Adventures novel. It featured the Fifth Doctor, Tegan Jovanka and Nyssa. This is only the second occurrence of this lineup (the first in the PDA range was Zeta Major, published in 1998). This is author Trevor Baxendale’s only contribution to the PDA range, but he has written several novels for other Doctors in novel and audio ranges.
- The Doctor says that the underground room they find is “hardly the Hammer House of Horror”
- The Doctor has a cricket ball signed by Mike Gatting
- Tegan is having dreams of snakes. (Snakedance)
- Nyssa is familiar with the Fault locator. (The Daleks), (The Edge of Destruction)