Dreams of Empire
The history books were clear: the once-proud Haddron Empire, fatally weakened by civil war, was finally brought to its knees by a catastrophic explosion. But, then again, history books can lie…
Landing in what seems to be a medieval castle, the Doctor and his friends discover that The final act of a drama that has torn apart a stellar empire is being played out around them.
Who is the man behind the mask, and how are his chess games linked to life and death in his fortress prison? What is the secret of the suits of armour which line the banqueting hall? Who is on the battle cruiser that is getting closer all the time, and what will they want when they finally arrive?
The pieces are all in place, and the TARDIS crew soon find themselves under siege. With both deadly robot troops and human traitors to defeat, it seems the future of the entire empire hangs in the balance…
- Dreams of Empire was the fourteenth BBC Past Doctor Adventures novel. It featured the Second Doctor, Jamie McCrimmon and Victoria Waterfield. This was the first novel since Virgin Publishing’s The Dark Path to feature this combination of Doctor and companions.
- Jamie McCrimmon has a nightmare which includes being chased by Daleks and Cyberman and being strangled by a Yeti.
- The Knights in this story are actually robots, called VETACs.
- General Cruger has a chess set representing the conflict of the Haddron Empire/Republic.
- This book was reprinted on 7 March 2013 with a new cover, to celebrate the Doctor Who 50th Anniversary.