Devil In The Smoke
Madame Vastra, the fabled Lizard Woman of Paternoster Row, knew death in many shapes and forms. But perhaps one of the most bizarre of these was death by snow…
On a cold day in December, two young boys, tired of sweeping snow from the workhouse yard, decide to build a snowman – and are confronted with a strange and grisly mystery. In horrified fascination, they watch as their snowman begins to bleed…
The search for answers to this impossible event will plunge Harry into the most hazardous – and exhilarating – adventure of his life. He will encounter a hideous troll. He will dine with a mysterious parlour maid. And he will help the Great Detective, Madame Vastra, save the world from the terrifying Devil in the Smoke.
Listen to a sample:
- Devil in the Smoke: An Adventure for the Great Detective is a novella prequel to The Snowmen, and was the first of three novellas published to tie-in with episodes from Series 7. Initially published as an e-book, it was later included in the omnibus Summer Falls and Other Stories.
- Jenny asks Harry if he’s heard of the Great Detective, to which Harry asks if she’s talking about Sherlock Holmes. Jenny responds that she’s talking about Madame Vastra, “A real one.”
- Strax remarks that probic vent recharging is more effective than soup.
- Vastra mentions to Strax that she thought the Rutan Host was “The Ancient Enemy.”
- Strax invokes Shadow Proclamation’s protocols on hostage exchange.
- Strax mentions the Sontaran Greater Military Academy.
- This takes at an undetermined date in December, before Christmas.
- The fog-like alien force that possess Able Hecklington and Jim is never named.
- This is the first novel that Vastra, Jenny, and/or Strax have appeared in.
- Vastra and Jenny display their sword fighting capabilities. (A Good Man Goes To War)
- Strax mentions the Moonites. (The Great Detective)
- Strax repeats the “Sontar-Ha!” battle cry on multiple occasions. (The Sontaran Stratagem / The Poison Sky)