Deep Breath DVD
Number of DVDs: 1
Duration: 76 minutes
Shortly after his regeneration, the Twelfth Doctor arrives in Victorian London, bringing with him a dinosaur which runs rampant in the Thames. Clara struggles to embrace the new man The Doctor has become. All the while, they reunite with the Paternoster Gang to investigate a series of combustions that have been occurring all around the city. Will Clara be able to come to terms with The Doctor’s new face, as well as be of the same character that strives to solve mysteries and defeat villains before the Gang’s investigation lands them in deathly hot water?
The Doctor has changed. It’s time you knew him.
- Vastra claims she hasn’t seen dinosaurs since she was a little girl.
- When The Doctor is in the alleyway talking to the vagrant, he comments on the cold, saying he should get a long scarf, then immediately dismisses the idea. This is a reference tothe Fourth Doctor’s iconic garb.
- Clara had a difficult time controlling her pupils in her first days as a teacher in Coal Hill School.
- The Doctor has a hard time remembering the events of the Girl in the Fireplace because of his post-regenerative confusion, and sniffs roses While trying to remember (a reference to Rose Tyler, who was travelling with him at the time).
- Madame Vastra uses a Scottish accent (in reality, Neve McIntosh’s own) to try and calm the newly-regenerated Doctor. Vastra normally speaks with a slight Scottish accent, but she exaggerates it for The Doctor’s benefit.
- As Clara is struggling to reach for the sonic screwdriver with her legs, The Doctor remarks that he misses the long-legged Amy.
- The role of Barney the tramp was played by Brian Miller, the husband of the late Elisabeth Sladen, who had previously appeared in Snakedance.
- This is the first episode in the new series and the first overall since the first episode in the The Leisure Hive story to premiere in August.
- Disregarding the special case of Rose, this is the first episode introducing a new Doctor since The Power of the Daleks to not show The Doctor choosing his new outfit.