“Take Arcadia apart if you have to.”
The middle of the twenty-fifth century. The Second Dalek War is drawing to an untidy close. Earth’s Office of External Operation is trying to extend its influence over the corporations that have controlled human-occupied space since man first ventured to the stars.
Agent Isabelle Defries is leading one expedition. Among her barely-controllable squad is an explosives expert who calls herself Ace. Their destination: Arcadia.
A non-technological paradise? A living laboratory for a centuries-long experiment? Fuel for a super-being? Even when Ace and Benny discover the truth, The Doctor refuses to listen to them.
Nothing is what it seems to be.
- Deceit is the thirteenth novel in the Virgin New Adventures series. It was written by Peter Darvill-Evans and released in 1993.
- Abslom Daak is a clone, “not very good one”, at that.
- Ace thinks about having sex with Daak.
- The Dalekplague used during the 22nd century Dalek invasion of Earth is mentioned in passing.
- The TARDIS is cured of the infection it reacquired in Tír na n-Óg.
- The Doctor ejected the zero room from the TARDIS, to destroy Pool.
- Ace is three years older than when she left The Doctor on Heaven.
- Bernice Summerfield is haunted by the destruction of the Seven Planets.