|Publication Date||14 January 1982|
Seeking help, they land on an unknown planet – and find a nightmare world where oppressed peasants toil for the Lords who live in the Tower, and where all learning is forbidden – a society in a state of decay.
What is the terrifying secret of the Three Who Rule? What monstrous creature stirs beneath the Tower, waking from its thousand-year sleep?
The Doctor discovers that the oldest and deadliest enemy of the Time Lords is about to spring into horrifying action.
- The Selection
- The Strangers
- The Stowaway
- The Messengers of Aukon
- The Tower
- Tarak’s Plan
- The Secret Horror
- The Resting Place
- The Vampires
- The Traitor
- Attack on the Tower
- The Arising
DEVIATIONS FROM THE TELEVISED VERSION
- The book includes several pieces of dialogue from earlier versions of the script that were left out of broadcast, such as K9 stating once he has finished his calculations he will go and rescue The Doctor and Romana.
- Aukon’s title is given as High Councillor.
- All the references to “the wasting” are omitted, with Ivo instead stating the Lords protect them from “the dark things that stalk the night”.
- Veros is introduced later than on screen, during the scene where Tarak decides to go to the Tower.
- The characters of Roga and Zoldaz are unnamed.
- Prior to taking the TARDIS to the rebels’ HQ, The Doctor deduces that since Romana and Adric haven’t returned Tarak probably didn’t deliver his message.
- Ivo is shown to strangle Habris after encountering him at the Tower