The Cradle of the Snake
Peter Davison (The Doctor), Janet Fielding (Tegan Jovanka), Mark Strickson (Turlough), Sarah Sutton (Nyssa), Madeleine Potter (Yoanna Rayluss), Dan Stevens (Rick ausGarten), Vernon Dobtcheff (Dadda Desaka / Policeman), Hugh Fraser (Dr Honri Kerrem / Showman), Barnaby Edwards (Tuk Tuk Driver)
The Mara is in all of us, deep in our minds. In our darkest thoughts, that’s where it started. Some people call it a demon, but that’s too simple. It’s about temptation.”
Tegan’s nightmares have returned. Seeking to banish the snake-like Mara from his companion’s psyche, The Doctor sets course for Manussa, the creature’s point of origin. But the TARDIS arrives instead in the heyday of the Manussan Empire, where infotainment impresario Rick ausGarten is preparing to turn dreams into reality.
The sun is setting on the Manussan Empire… and it’s all The Doctor’s fault.
Written By:Marc Platt
Directed By: Barnaby Edward
- The Cradle of the Snake was the one hundred and thirty-eighth monthly Doctor Who audio story produced by Big Finish Productions. It was the third and final Big Finish audio story in the 2010 the Fifth Doctor season.
- Nyssa says the goodness on Traken is more robust and less forced than on some other worlds.
- Tegan’s father owned a sheep farm with two thousand head of merino. He flew a Cessna Skyhawk. Flying the plane over the farm was one of Tegan’s favourite memories.
- Turlough has never previously heard of the Mara.
- The Doctor, Nyssa and Tegan encountered the Mara on two previous occasions. (Kinda, Snakedance)