Carole Ann Ford (Susan Foreman), Tara-Louise Kaye (Meedla)
Before Totter’s Yard, before Ian Chesterton and Barbara Wright, before the Chameleon Circuit was broken… the Doctor and Susan travelled alone.
The planet Quinnis in the Fourth Universe appears, at first glance, to be an agreeable, exotic refuge for the two travellers. But the world is experiencing a terrible drought, and the Doctor becomes its unwilling rainmaker.
Meanwhile, Susan makes an ally in a young girl called Meedla. But friends are not always whAt They appear, and the long-awaited rain isn’t necessarily good news…
- Quinnis was the thirty-eighth release in the Companion Chronicles audio range.
- The fourth universe does not run parallel with the primary universe. Its time tracks cross over each other. According to the Doctor, it was the furthest that he and Susan had travelled since leaving their home planet.
- Using its chameleon circuit, the TARDIS disguises itself as a wooden kiosk and with red and white awnings after materialising in Bridgetown on Quinnis.
- Quinnis has a copper coloured sky.
- Susan mentions that The TARDIS’ trip to Quinnis occurred before she and her grandfather were joined on their travels by Ian Chesterton and Barbara Wright, two of her teachers at Coal Hill School. (An Unearthly Child, The Edge of Destruction)
- Meedla tells Susan that “the ground will burst with hungry life and misery will tear the world apart” very soon.
- After finding black feathers around Bridgetown, the people of the town believe that its bad luck bird, the Shrazer, has arrived and represents an ill omen for Bridgetown.
- This is the first Big Finish audio drama to take place prior to the events of An Unearthly Child in the Doctor’s personal timeline.
- Given that The TARDIS’ chameleon circuit is operational, this is one of the few Doctor Who stories in any medium in which the TARDIS appears in a form other than that of a police box.
- Susan recalls being left on Earth by her grandfather in the 2160s following the end of the Dalek occupation. (The Dalek Invasion of Earth)