“What if there were a game you didn’t know you were playing? Where you didn’t know the aim and you hadn’t seen the rules?”
Charlotte Pollard arrives in a toyshop, but she doesn’t know where she is – or even who she is. The mysterious owner wants to play games. He’s the Celestial Toymaker, and he has already defeated The Doctor, whose essence is hidden inside a ventriloquist’s doll.
The Doctor is gone. The TARDIS is lost. But the game is only just beginning.
- Solitaire was the thirty-second release in the Companion Chronicles audio range
- The Toymaker’s riddle is about taking double letters to the Moon:“I went to the Moon and I took a riddle, but I did not take a joke.”
“I went to the Moon and I took a toyroom, but I did not take a TARDIS.”
“I went to the Moon and I took Charlotte Pollard, but I did not take The Doctor.”
- Outside the Toyshop is a description-less void (the Void, White Void, Gateway, Interstitial time, Black Void) where Charlie’s voice echoes.
- The Eleventh Doctor’s companion Amy Pond was later turned into a doll in a similar manner to the Eighth Doctor. (Night Terrors)
- According to the Big Finish Podcast, the puppet Eighth Doctor on the cover was created by Alex Mallinson.
- This is the only Companion Chronicles to feature the Eighth Doctor.
- This is the first Companion Chronicle to star a companion created by Big Finish Productions.
- This audio drama was recorded on 15 January 2010.