The TARDIS materializes in England in the year 1912, a time of great social change. The Suffragette movement is lobbying for votes for women, and the skull of the so-called ‘missing link’ has been discovered in Piltdown.
While Vicki falls victim to a strange influence, the Doctor and Steven investigate the fossilized remains. The Suffering has been unleashed. Can the travellers survive its rage?
- The Suffering was a February 2010 entry in The Companion Chronicles series by Big Finish Productions.
- Vicki describes Steven as a “handsome space pilot”, herself as a “plucky orphan” and a “sensible girl” and the Doctor as a “mysterious, white haired old man.”
- Vicki mentions her skill at cutting hair. (Galaxy 4)
- Steven studied basic anatomy as part of his training.
- This audio drama was recorded on 2 and 6 October 2009.
- Steven tells the Doctor that he has not eaten since 1066. (The Time Meddler)
- Steven refers to his two years as a prisoner of the Mechonoids on their native planet Mechanus and his first encounter with the Doctor. (The Chase)