The Great Space Elevator
Deborah Watling (Victoria Waterfield), Helen Goldwyn (Tara Kerley)
A new adventure with the Second Doctor as told by his companion, Victoria Waterfield.
The Great Space Elevator is a marvel of human engineering; a transit tube stretching from the equator up to a space station held in geosynchronous orbit.
When the TARDIS lands in Sumatra in the future, the Second Doctor, Jamie and Victoria are captured by guards just as the station loses power. Together with Security Officer Tara Kerley, the three travellers take a one-way trip on the elevator to fix the problem, and find themselves confronted by a powerful alien force that threatens to wreak chaos on Earth…
- The Great Space Elevator was the tenth release in the Companion Chronicles audio range.
- Victoria considers her days travelling with The Doctor and Jamie as the most exciting, vivid and terrifying of her life.
- The older Victoria has a husband, at least one child and will soon become a grandmother. She has never told her family of her travels in the TARDIS or that she was born in the 19th century.
- Jamie compares the Great Space Elevator to the Tower of Babel.
- Victoria compares travelling in the Space Elevator to being in a giant dumbwaiter.
- The Doctor plays “Baa Baa Black Sheep” on his recorder.
- This was the first time that Deborah Watling had reprised her role as Victoria Waterfield for Big Finish Productions. However, she previously played Auntie in Three’s a Crowd.
- This audio drama was recorded on 2 April 2008.
- Victoria tells Tara Kerley that she, The Doctor and Jamie had been on Telos, which she claims is one of the Greek Islands. (The Tomb of the Cybermen)