“Life is cheap in Byzantium. Life is cheap everywhere that the Romans are.”
Byzantium. The imperial city – rising dramatically, as if by a trick of the light, from the peninsula of the Bosphorus and the Black Sea. Its domes and towers and minarets overlook a place of intrigue, lust, power, oppression, resistance and murder.
Romans, Greeks, Zealots, Pharisees … all meet in the market squares of the great city, but mutual loathing and suspicion are rife.
Into this cauldron, The Doctor and his companions arrive, expecting to view the splendour and civilisation of the Roman Empire. But events cast them into a deadly maelstrom of social and political upheaval. In the eye of the hurricane they must each face the possibility of being stranded, alone and far from their own times, in an alien culture bunker.
- Byzantium! was the forty-fourth BBC Past Doctor Adventures novel. It featured the First Doctor, Ian Chesterton, Barbara Wright and Vicki Pallister. Set at the beginning of The Romans as the TARDIS falls off the cliff, this is the first full length story that features Vicki as a companion.
- Barbara compares Vicki to Susan Foreman.
- There is a flash-forward scene which reveals Ian and Barbara will have a son, John Alydon Ganatus Chesterton.
- By 1973, Ian has befriended Greg Sutton. (Inferno)
- Ian adapts the story of the Daleks and the Thals to entertain an audience. (The Daleks)
- The Doctor was on the field of battle in the Battle of Passchendaele during World War I.