Not men, Ace. Silurians. The original rulers of the Earth.
The TARDIS is attacked by an alien force; Bernice is flung into the Vortex; and the Doctor and Ace crash-land on Earth.
An attack by dinosaurs convinces the Doctor that he and Ace have arrived in the Jurassic Era. But when they find a woman being hunted by intelligent reptiles, he begins to suspect that something is very wrong.
Then they meet the embittered Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart, leading the remnants of UNIT in a hopeless fight against the Silurians who rule his world. And they find out that it all began when the Doctor died…
- Blood Heat was the nineteenth novel in the Virgin New Adventures series of novels. It was written by Jim Mortimore
- Jo Grant was sent to retrieve the launch codes the Brigadier planned to use. She goes insane from radiation exposure and Race Memory fear.
- Brigadier Alistair Gordon Lethbridge-Stewart injects a stimulant into Jo Grant to get information from her. It kills her.
- Liz Shaw married a man named James Lester. He hit his head looking for food and died.
- Bernice gets shot while trying to stop the nuclear missiles.
- Alistair Gordon Lethbridge-Stewart bursts into tears over all the death he caused, including the shattered eggs of the Silurians.
- Manisha saw her version of Ace die, an inversion of events in the primary universe, where Ace saw Manisha die when her flat was firebombed. (Ghost Light)
- The Doctor takes his third self’s TARDIS from the alternate universe as his is lost in a tar pit. This TARDIS has a working Chameleon Circuit.
- The TARDIS similarly falls through a puncture in the time vortex in Rise of the Cybermen.
- Blood Heat references The Silurians as its starting point for the divergent timeline. Deadly Genesis also branches off from the events seen in that story.